William Ward, 1st Earl of Dudley
(27 March 1817 – 7 May 1885), known as The Lord Ward
from 1835 to 1860, was a British
landowner and benefactor.
Background and education
Ward was born on 27 March 1817 at Edwardstone Boxford, Suffolk
, England, the son of William Ward, 10th Baron Ward, who had succeeded in the barony of Ward on the death of his second cousin, Foreign Secretary John Ward, 1st Earl of Dudley
, in 1833 (the earldom becoming extinct). His mother was Amelia, daughter of William Cooch Pillans. He was educated at Eton
and Christ Church, Oxford
and Trinity College, Oxford
. He played first-class cricket
for Oxford University Cricket Club
between 1838 and 1842.
Ward provided financial support for the restoration of Worcester Cathedral
and there is a monument to him in the cathedral. He was also a trustee of the National Gallery
and the National Portrait Gallery
. In 1860 the earldom held by his kinsman was revived when he was created Viscount Ednam
, of Ednam
in the County of Roxburgh, and Earl of Dudley
, of Dudley Castle
in the County of Stafford.
Lord Dudley married firstly Selina Constance, daughter of Hubert de Burgh, on 24 April 1851. She died on 14 November of the same year, at the age of only 22. There were no children from this marriage. He married secondly Georgina Elisabeth
, daughter of Sir Thomas... Read More