The Williamstown Football Club
, nicknamed The Seagulls
, is an Australian rules football
club based in Melbourne and are currently playing in the Victorian Football League
. The club was formed in 1864 and is one of the oldest in Australia.
The Williamstown Football Club was formed in 1864. Other clubs at the time were Melbourne, Geelong, South Yarra, Carlton, Albert Park, Royal Park, Brunswick, University, Warehouseman's, Kyneton
, Ballarat, Hotham and Belfast (Port Fairy). Games were organised on a fairly ad hoc arrangement and the Victorian Football Association was formed on May 7, 1877.
Williamstown was granted "senior status" in 1884 and joined the VFA. South Williamstown was also in the VFA at that time but the two local teams never met. They merged in 1888 and Williamstown's original colours of black and yellow were changed to blue and gold.
Williamstown (the town) was named after King William IV in 1837 and was often referred to as the "village" in 19th century Melbourne. The nickname "The Villagers" stuck with the footy club until the late 1930s when Larry Floyd and Bill Dooley (great grand father of Leigh and Paul) decided a more appropriate synonym was needed and adopted the "Seagulls".
Williamstown Football Club has won a premiership in each decade of the 1900s except the second - 1907, 1921, 1939, 1945, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1959, 1969 (Second Division), 1976 (Second Division), 1986, 1990. Each of these Premierships hold... Read More