The suburb is bounded in the west and north by the Geelong railway line, in the east by Champion Road and in the south by Kororoit Creek Road.
Williamstown North is home to the Australian Railway Historical Society operated railway museum, located at the south east corner of the Newport Workshops. It is a short walk from the North Williamstown railway station. The Railway Museum has on display the largest collection of Victorian Railways steam locomotives. Other equipment on display includes electric locomotives, suburban and country passenger carriages, Guards vans and a selection of freight wagons. The railway museum is located on Champion Road and close to the North Williamstown railway station.
Williamstown North Post Office opened on 1 April 1878 and closed in 1980.