The placename means "village of a woman called Winflǣd", from the Old English personal name Winflǣd + tun "farm, village". The name was recorded in the Domesday Book as Winfletone, and as Wynlaton in the 12th century.
The village contains a public house (The Boot), a farm shop
The Boot Inn
The Boot Inn occupies a row of red-brick and sandstone cottages that were built in 1815. Behind the pub is Boothsdale, also known as 'Little Switzerland', accessible by a well-used footpath.