, founded 1869, is a private, Presbyterian
-related, liberal arts women's college
located on a campus in Chambersburg
, United States
. It was founded by two Presbyterian
ministers, but named for its first major donor, Sarah Wilson of nearby St. Thomas Township, Pennsylvania
Wilson College has about 840 students from 16 U.S. states and 22 foreign countries. It's known for its Women With Children program, which allows single mothers to bring their children to live with them on campus, as well as for its veterinary medical technician and equestrian programs, and its Fulton Center for Sustainable Living, which operates a organic farm and a CSA (community-supported agriculture) that supplies community families and others with fresh, organic produce. Another special feature of Wilson College are the rich traditions that form an important part of campus life.
The college was founded by the Rev. Tryon Edwards and the Rev. James W. Wightman, pastors of Presbyterian churches in nearby Hagerstown, Maryland
, and Greencastle, Pennsylvania
. The original charter was granted by the Pennsylvania Legislature on March 24, 1869. Wilson was one of the first colleges in the U.S. to accept only female students and was named for Sarah Wilson (1795–1871), who gave two large donations to help get the college started. Anna J. McKeag served as Wilson’s first woman president from 1911 to 1915.
In 1967 the Wilson College sailing team won the first... Read More