is a London Underground
station in Wimbledon
. The station is on the District Line
and is between Southfields
stations. The station is located on Arthur Road close to the junction with Melrose Avenue close to the eastern side of Wimbledon Park
. It is about 200 m
west of Durnsford Road (A218
) and is in Travelcard Zone 3
The station was opened by the Metropolitan District Railway
(MDR, now the District Line) on 3 June 1889 on an extension from to . The extension was built by the London and South Western Railway
(L&SWR) which, starting on 1 July 1889, ran its own trains over the line from a connection at East Putney to its to line.
The section of the District Line from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon was the last part of the line to be converted from steam operation to electric. Electric trains began running on 27 August 1905.
Mainline services through Wimbledon Park were ended by the Southern Railway
(successor to the L&SWR) on 4 May 1941, although the line remained in British Rail
ownership until 1 April 1994 when it was transferred to London Underground. Until the transfer, the station was branded as a British Rail station.
Wimbledon Park is a proposed stop on the Chelsea-Hackney Line
, also known as Crossrail 2
. It is envisioned that the station's District Line
service will be replaced by the new line.
London bus routes......