is an urban park
and the suburb
south and east to which it lends its name. It is the second largest park in the London Borough of Merton
and also gives its name to Wimbledon Park tube station
. To the immediate west of the park resides the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club
. Wimbledon Park should not be confused with the much larger and better known Wimbledon Common
, further to the west up the hill.The original park comprised the grounds of Wimbledon Park House, the seat of the manor
, situated on the hill to the south, near St Mary's Church, Wimbledon
the old parish church of Wimbledon. A series of owners enlarged the park northwards and eastwards. By the 19th century it was at its largest extent, and one of the homes of the Earls Spencer
, lords of the manor
. The park had been landscaped in the 18th century by Capability Brown
when the lake was formed by constructing a dam across a brook that flows from the springline near Wimbledon Common down to the River Wandle
In 1846, the 4th Earl Spencer
sold the estate and house to John Augustus Beaumont a property developer who laid out new roads and sold plots of land for house building. Two roads still bear his name today - Augustus Road and Beaumont Road.Development of the area was slow at first, but continued throughout the second half of the 19th century, gradually nibbling away at the parkland.
The modern park was purchased by the Borough of Wimbledon just before the......