is a small village and civil parish
within the Chew Valley
, England. It is within the unitary authority of North Somerset
about south of Bristol
. The parish has a population of 1,995.
The parish includes the village of Felton
which is close to the A38
, Bristol International Airport
and Hartcliff Rocks Quarry
and Lulsgate Quarry Sites of Special Scientific Interest
. On Felton Common, between the village and the airport, is the church of St Katherine and All Holy Martyrs, which was built around 1868, and the remains of a windmill which has been converted into a private house.
The small village of Regil
also falls within the parish, although it has its own small church dedicated to St James, one pub
, a village hall and several farms.
Winford village lies on the route of the Monarch's Way
long distance footpath and has one pub, a village post office and several farms in the surrounding area.
Winford was listed in the Domesday Book
of 1086 as Wenfre
, meaning 'The carriage journey' from the Old English woenfaru
. The term journey can also mean route.
The parish council
has responsibility for local issues, including setting an annual precept (local rate) to cover the council’s operating costs and producing annual accounts for public scrutiny. The parish council evaluates local planning applications and works with the local police, district council officers, and neighbourhood watch
... Read More