is a town in the Mid North Coast
region of New South Wales
, Australia in the City of Greater Taree
north of Sydney. At the 2006 census
, Wingham had a population of 4,812.
The first land grant in the area was made at The Bight to George Rowley in 1841. Wingham was chosen as a location for a government settlement because supply boats could not proceed any further up the Manning River
and was also located on the road from Raymond Terrace to Port Maquarie. Named after Wingham
in Kent, England, Wingham was proclaimed a village in 1844 but allotments were not made until 1854, the same year that Henry Flett laid out Taree
as a private settlement. In the meantime, Tinonee had also been established as a government settlement and in 1866 had a population of 100, compared to 90 at Wingham and 150 at Taree.
Wingham was proclaimed a municipality in 1889. By 1909, Wingham consisted of 285 houses and had a population of 900, but government services had been transferred to Taree, which had a population of 1300 in 269 houses. The municipalities were merged with each other and the Manning Valley Shire in 1981 to form the City of Great Taree.
Wingham's main street, Isabella Street runs east west and fronts the... Read More