is a Berlin U-Bahn station
on the , the , and lines. The station is located in the northwestern corner of Schöneberg
It is one of the oldest U-Bahn stations in Berlin, opened on 11 March 1902, with a remarkable Art Nouveau
entrance hall by Alfred Grenander
built in 1913. The station has two island platforms and a single platform, serving five tracks, at below ground level and under a single roof. The building was badly damaged in World War II and reconstructed afterwards.
One of the station platforms features a sign donated by London Transport
in 1952 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the U-Bahn. This sign features the station's name in the distinctive round, red and blue style of signs
on the London Underground
square leads directly to the Tauentzienstraße
, one of the major shopping streets in Berlin, where the Kaufhaus des Westens
(Department Store of the West, KaDeWe for short) is located.
From 1980-83 the station was renovated by architect Borchardt. He won the price (gold medal) of the ministry of architecture in 1986.J. Meyer-Kronthaler, Berlins U-Bahnhöfe
, Berlin: be.bra, 1996
Before Nürnberger Platz closed Read More