Woden Independent School District
is a public school district
based in the community of Woden
Woden ISD has three campuses - Woden High (Grades 9-12), Woden Junior High (Grades 6-8), and Woden Elementary (Grades PK-5) even though all three "campuses" are on the same location. Woden High School also serves students from the neighboring Etoile Independent School District
In 2009, the school district was rated "recognized
" by the Texas Education Agency
In 1836 the families of William Jacobs, Thomas Alders, James Jacobs, George Brown and Elijah Chisum Sr., came from Madison County, Tennessee, and settled in southeastern Nacogdoches County. In 1837 a log building in the center of the surrounding settlers' homes was built to serve as both the school and the church. This became known as Jacobs Chapel School and Jacobs Chapel Methodist Church. Miss Catherine Alders, "Aunt Katie", was the teacher. An 1854 scholastic census showed Jacobs Chapel to be the only school in the 12th district with 33 students.
In the 1860s school was taught in the home of Eli Holly Hobbs at the intersections of Woden Road and Melrose Road. In 1877 the Pine Grove School was established. This was near the present site of Fairview Methodist Church on Highway 21 east. Mrs. Melissa White, wife of Dr. Richard Penn White, was the teacher. In 1879, Mrs. White became the teacher at the Parrish School on the Old Woden Road. This school had... Read More