() is a village in south Dorset
. The village is part of the south western suburbs
, on the northern shore of Portland Harbour
and the south-eastern end of Chesil Beach
. Wyke is south of the county town, Dorchester
. The village has a population of around 5,500.
All Saints' Church in the village is known to have been frequented by King George III
during his summer visits to Weymouth between 1790-1805. The church was the main place of worship for Weymouth citizens until the first sizeable church was built in the main part of the town in the 19th century. The victims of the wreck of the Earl of Abergavenny
, including its captain John Wordsworth, brother of poet William Wordsworth
, are buried in the churchyard as are bodies recovered from the wrecked East Indiaman Alexander
. Construction of the church started around 1451, it took 4 years to build and was dedicated on 19 October 1455. The church is constructed of local stone brought from quarries on Portland and at Upwey.
Thanks to treacherous local currents and the long sweep of Chesil Beach
on which many ships ran aground, the village, as well as the neighbouring Isle of Portland
gained a reputation for both smuggling and the looting of wrecks. This reputation is reflected today in the name of a local public house, the Wyke Smugglers previously known as the Wyke Hotel.
The major industry in the area was Whitehead... Read More