The Wyoming Monument
is an American Revolutionary War
monument and gravesite located in the borough of Wyoming, Pennsylvania
, in Luzerne County
The monument marks the gravesite of the bones of victims of the Wyoming Massacre
, which took place on July 3, 1778. Local residents banded together to defend the area against an invasion of British Tories as well as pro-Tory Native Americans. The battle ended in defeat for the colonial fighters and considerable brutality followed the battle. It was not until October 22, 1778 that a recovery party felt the region safe enough to return to begin recovery of the bodies of those slain in the battle. The remains were gathered and interred in a common grave, only to be dug up again at public ceremonies in 1832 — ceremonies attended by some of the then elderly survivors of the massacre. In 1833, the bones were re-interred in a vault under the present monument.
Ownership of the monument is held by the Wyoming Monument Association, originally formed as the Ladies Monumental Association. It is one of the oldest all-female historical groups in the United States.
Each year, beginning in 1878 for the 100th anniversary of the battle, a commemorative ceremony is held on the grounds of the stone obelisk. The ceremony is sponsored by the Wyoming Commemorative Association
On August 2, 2008, the monument was struck by lightning, causing some damage and putting the monument in need of repairs.<ref... Read More