<!-- Deleted image removed: -->Saint Blessed Xenia of St. Petersburg
: Святая блаженная Ксения Петербургская ; – , Saint Petersburg) is a patron saint of St. Petersburg, who according to tradition, gave all her possessions to the poor after her husband died.
Her husband had been Colonel Andrey Fyodorovich Petrov, a chanter at the Saint Andrew Cathedral
. After his death, Xenia became a "fool-for-Christ
" and for 45 years wandered around the streets of St. Petersburg, usually wearing her late husband's military uniform.
St. Xenia's grave is in the Smolensky Cemetery
of St. Petersburg. It has been marked by an ornate chapel since 1902. She was canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church
on February 6, 1988. Her feast day in the O.S.
is January 24, which is February 6 in the New Calendar
- Having renounced the vanity of the earthly world,
- Thou didst take up the cross of a homeless life of wandering;
- Thou didst not fear grief, privation, nor the mockery of men,
- And didst know the love of Christ.
- Now taking sweet delight of this love in Heaven,
- O Xenia, the blessed and divinely wise,
- Pray for the salvation of our souls.
Troparion (Tone 8)
- In you, O mother was carefully preserved what is according to the image.
- For you took up the Cross and followed Christ.
- By so doing, you taught us to disregard the flesh for it passes away,
- But to care instead for the soul since it is immortal.
- Therefore, O......