is a Japanese
diesel engine manufacturer with more than 90 years of history. The engines are used in a wide range of applications, including seagoing vessels, construction equipment, agricultural equipment and generator sets.
Yanmar is for the most part a corporation
specializing in diesel engines
, and also makes light fishing boats
for ships, tractors
, combine harvesters
-planting machines, snow throwers, transporters, tillers, mini excavators, portable diesel generators and Heavy Utility Machinery
. Yanmar is one of the most famous among the top brands of agricultural, marine machinery in Japan and the world.
Yanmar was the first to put a diesel engine in a rice planting machine with a passenger seat. Small, light, air-cooled diesel engines are Yanmar's speciality. Yanmar also supplies engines to John Deere tractors and Thermo King Corporation
used in refrigerated trucks and trailers
Yanmar's headquarters are at 1-32, Chayamachi, Kita-ku
Yanmar is the patron of the J. League 1 soccer
team Cerezo Osaka
and sponsor for AFC Champions League
, Yanmar Racing and several weather forecast programmes on Japanese television
- 1912 Yamaoka Magokichi sets up business under the name Yamaoka Engine Workshop.
- 1931 Inauguration of Yamaoka Engine Workshop limited.
- 1936 Inauguration of Yamaoka Internal Combustion Machines limited.
- 1940 Yamaoka Internal Combustion Machines amalgamates with Yamaoka Engine Workshop.
- 1952 Company name changes to Yanmar Diesel......