The Yarralumla brickworks
, also known as the Commonwealth Brickworks, was one of the earliest construction projects in Canberra
. It was built in the suburb of Yarralumla
to produce the bricks used to build many of Canberra's early buildings. It opened in around 1913 and operated until its closure in 1976. * Exploring the ACT and Southeast New South Wales
, J. Kay McDonald, Kangaroo Press, Sydney, 1985, p41
ISBN 0-86417-049-1 It is known for producing the bricks used to build itself.
lines for the transportation of bricks linked Yarralumla to some of the major building sites in central Canberra such as Old Parliament House
, and the Kingston
Power House. No sign of this early Canberra transport system remains today.
The original brick kilns
were built according to Walter Burley Griffin
's designs with fan forced short chimneys
intended to stay below the height of the surrounding pine trees
. In 1950 after World War II
increased building demands in Canberra meant that a large 46 meter
natural-draft chimney was built for the new kilns. This greatly increased brick production capacity. The tall chimney is visible from many locations around central Canberra.
In recent years a report found that the tall chimney was not earthquake-safe. As the chimney was heritage listed and located within falling distance of nearby homes, an engineering firm was called in to make it safe. A frame was built inside the chimney to support it... Read More