Yau Ma Tei Police Station was built in 1922. Additions were made after WorldWar II, including a 1957 extension wing to serve as barracks and an accommodation block, to the west of the existing station. During the 1966 riots the police station was attacked by a mob but the police managed to suppress it rapidly.
The neoclassical Main Block is built in Edwardian Free Style. There is a traditional portico on both sides of Canton Road and Public Square Street. The main entrance is a semi-circular portico set in the indented corner at the junction of Public Square Street and Canton Road. Such indentedcorners are features often used for feng shui reasons.