The is a Japanese railway line of the East Japan Railway Company
(JR East) connecting Higashi-Kanagawa Station
and Hachiōji Station
in Hachiōji, Tokyo
. The line's name comes from the section between Nagatsuta and Higashi-Kanagawa that runs through the city of Yokohama. Nicknamed the by locals, the line serves commuters in the southwestern suburbs of Tokyo and northeastern suburbs of Yokohama.
The line was opened by the private
on 23 September 1908 and leased to the government in 1910. The line was nationalized
Taking advantage of the line's location near the Japanese National Railways
headquarters in Tokyo and relatively little traffic, the line was used as a test bed for regauging to standard gauge in 1917, with the intent of expanding it nationwide; due to political considerations, however, it was abandoned. In 1925, the Yokohama Line was electrified as a test prior to electrification of the Tōkaidō Main Line
The line was formally electrified in two phases. The Higashi-Kanagawa – Haramachida (now ) section was electrified in 1932, and the Haramachida – Hachiōji section was electrified in 1941.
Only part of the route was double-tracked prior to 1967, when the – section was double-tracked. In 1988 the –Hachiōji section was double-tracked, eliminating all single-track sections from the... Read More