was a federal electoral district
represented in the Canadian House of Commons
at different times, and a provincial electoral district. It was located in the province
Federal electoral district
The first federal riding of York East was created by the British North America Act
of 1867. Called the East Riding of York, it consisted of the Townships of Markham
, the Village of Yorkville
and the portion of the Township of York
lying east of Yonge Street
. In 1882, it was redefined to consist of the townships of East York
, Scarborough and Markham, and the villages of Yorkville and Markham.
The electoral district was abolished in 1903 when it was redistributed between Toronto North
, York Centre
and York South
In 1914, the East Riding of York was recreated out of York Centre and York South ridings, and was defined as consisting of the township of Scarboro, and the eastern portion of the city of Toronto south of Danforth Avenue and east of Pape Avenue. The electoral district was abolished in 1924 when it was redistributed between Toronto—Scarborough
and York South ridings.
In 1933, the riding of York East was created from parts of York North
and York South ridings, and was defined as consisting of the part of the county of York lying south of the township of Whitchurch, east of Yonge Street, and north of the city of Toronto, and including the village of Stouffville.
In 1947, it was redefined to consist of the part of the county of York lying... Read More