The Youngstown Fire Department
provides essential fire and allied public safety services for the City of Youngstown, Ohio
The Youngstown Fire Department operates nine fire stations
. The 140 firefighter employed by the department operate work on one of three platoons (A, B, C) and work 24 hours on, 48 hours off.
Established in 1868 as the all-volunteer Governor Tod Engine Company
, the department has grown over the years. In 1891, the volunteer department
was disbanded as the city grew and the need for a full-time force of career firefighters became evident. By 1955, the department had grown to operate from 15 fire stations, but this would last only 15 years. By the early 1970s, with the steel industry on its way out of Youngstown, the department began to close companies. First were fire stations #4 and #11. Others would follow including several on the city's North and South Sides.
The men and women of the Department are committed to eliminating threats to the lives, safety and property of the Youngstown community. They provide services through a combination of education, prevention and effective response to fire, medical and environmental emergencies.