(formerly Kadapa or Cuddapah District
) (, ) is one of the 23 districts of Andhra Pradesh
. On 8 July 2010, the government of Andhra Pradesh renamed the district in honor of Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy
, a former chief minister of Andhra Pradesh
who was a native of the district and who was popularly known by his initials "YSR". No one knows based on which opinion the state government took such a decision. However, presently congress is the ruling party and it bagged the opportunity to change the name of a very ancient district. Shame on filthy politicians.
The city of Kadapa
is the district headquarters. It had a population of 2,601,797 of which 22.59% were urban as of 2001.
Cuddapah has historical importance since BC era. It was connected with Mouryans in BC era and Sathavahanas in the third century AD. It was part of the area ceded
to the British by Nizam. The District was formed by splitting the Ceded Districts
into two in 1808 during the British rule, the other district being Bellary
. The British spelt the district as Cuddapah
The district is part of Rayalaseema
, commemorating the name of Rayulu
(Kings) of the Vijayanagar Empire
, who ruled the area in 16th century. Gandikota
fort located on the bank of Penna
river was the citadel of Pemmasani Nayaks
, commanders of Vijayanagar
army and who won the battles of......