is a town on the west coast
. It lies southwest of Burnie
. At the 2006 census
, Zeehan had a population of 845. It is part of the Municipality of West Coast
The town was named after the nearby Mount Zeehan which had been named by George Bass
and Matthew Flinders
after Abel Tasman
's brig Zeehaen
The region has one of the oldest histories of any part of Tasmania, when Abel Tasman sighted this part of the state in 1642. An early port for Zeehan was Trial harbour
but it was very precarious in its location on Ocean Beach
and was taken over by Strahan
. Zeehan saw a boost in population when the Zeehan-Dundas silver
deposits were found in 1882 by Frank Long
. This rush lasted until the closure of the last mine in 1914. During the time the population peaked at 10,000, over ten times the current population.
It was clearly in competition with the town further south, Queenstown
, and while the silver boom lasted it was known as the Silver City
. In the first decade of the twentieth century it was on a par with Launceston
for size. With a main street over two miles long (3.2 km); it also claimed over 20 hotels. In the 1970s it saw increased activity due to operations at the nearby Renison Bell
Tin mine, and again in the 1990s.
- See also:Zeehan railway station
Zeehan was an important railway location — the end of the Emu Bay Railway
, and the beginning of the......