Zhob, (Pashto: ژوب) the capital of Zhob District, is a small city in the Balochistan province of Pakistan. Zhob is located on banks of Zhob River. The city was originally known as Appozai named after a nearby village. During the colonial era it was named Fort Sandeman. It obtained its current name in 30 July 1976 when the then Prime Minister of Pakistan, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto had the name changed.
Until the Zhob Valley expedition of 1884 the area was practically unknown to Europeans, and in 1889 the Zhob Valley and Gomal Pass were taken under the control of the British Government.Zhob - Encyclopædia Britannica Eleventh addition In December 1889 the town of Zhob, then known as Apozai, was occupied by the British and named Fort Sandeman after Sir Robert Sandeman.
The district of Zhob was formed in 1890, with Fort Sandeman as the capital. The population was 3552, according to the 1901 census of India. The military garrison included a Native cavalry and a Native infantry regiment. It was also the headquarters of the Zhob Levy Corps. In 1894 a supply of water from the Saliaza valley was established— which allowed irrigation and planting of fruits and trees and provided drinking water. It cost a little over a lakh of rupees.