The Caledonian Railway 439 Class
is a class of 0-4-4T steam locomotive
. It was a development of the earlier 19 Class
and 92 Class
0-4-4Ts and predecessor of the 431 Class
. The 439 Class was introduced by John F. McIntosh
in 1900 and a modified version was introduced by William Pickersgill
Ninety-two engines of the class were built between 1900 and 1925, a few under LMS
auspices. Seventy-four Class 439s passed into British Railways
ownership in 1948 and they were numbered 55159-55236 (with gaps).
- 19 Class Introduced 1895
- 92 Class Introduced 1897, developed from 29 Class
The 19 and 92 Classes were originally fitted with condensing apparatus
for use on Glasgow Central Low Level
lines. Twenty-four of them passed into British Railways ownership and they were numbered 55119-55146 (with gaps).
In 1922 Pickersgill introduced the 431 Class
with larger cylinders and cast-iron front buffer beam for banking
. The idea was, presumably, to move the centre of gravity forwards and put more weight on the driving wheels. However, it seems strange to use a large-wheeled 0-4-4T (rather than a small-wheeled 0-6-0T) for banking. The 431 Class was numbered 431–434 by the Caledonian, 15237–15240 by the LMS, and 55237–55240 by British Railways.
In 1925 the LMS introduced their own version of the 439 Class
and these were numbered 55260-55269 by British Railways.
In the 431 and LMS classes, the cylinder bore was increased to... Read More