is a Canadian
rural community in Westmorland County
, New Brunswick
The community derives its name from a headland
of the same name which extends into the Northumberland Strait
, forming the easternmost point in the province.
On 9 September 1886, the New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island Railway
reached Cape Tormentine, connecting the hamlet with the new junction point of Sackville
on the Intercolonial Railway
The NB&PEIR created a boom in the community as from 1886 to 1917, Cape Tormentine became the primary destination for the winter iceboat
service from Prince Edward Island
On 1 August 1914, the NB&PEIR was merged into the Canadian Government Railways
system and the line was extended further east into a new port facility built for the railcar and passenger ferry SS Prince Edward Island
, which began service between Cape Tormentine and Port Borden
, Prince Edward Island in 1917.
Following CGR's merger into the Canadian National Railways
in 1918, CNR operated the ferry service from Tormentine-Borden until 1977 when a corporate reorganization saw its operation placed under a subsidiary, CN Marine
. On 31 December 1989, Cape Tormentine witnessed the last train arriving from Prince Edward Island, following CN's abandonment of that province's railway service (see Prince Edward Island Railway
); this also marked the date of the last train in Cape Tormentine.
A further reorganization of CN Marine in 1986 saw the... Read More