Chancellor (education)

Chancellor (Education)

Chancellor (education)

to get instant updates about 'Chancellor (Education)' on your MyPage. Meet other similar minded people. Its Free!


All Updates

A chancellor (United States) or vice-chancellor (Commonwealth) is the chief executive of a university. Other titles are sometimes used, such as president or rector.

In most Commonwealth (or former Commonwealth) nations, the term "chancellor" is usually used for a titular (figurehead) non-resident head, often with a Pro-Chancellor as practical chairman of the governing body ("the council"), the actual chief executive of a university being the vice-chancellor.

In most of continental Europe, such as Iberian Peninsula, Scandinavia and Germany, the administrative and educational head of the university is the rector. Some countries have a "great chancellor" (gran canciller) as a titular figure.


In Australia, the chancellor is chairman of the university's governing body; thus, as well as having ceremonial duties, the chancellor participates in the governance of the university (but not its active management). The chancellor is assisted by a deputy chancellor (known as the pro-chancellor in some universities). The chancellor and deputy chancellor are frequently drawn from the senior ranks of business or the judiciary (it is one of the few jobs considered compatible with judicial service). Some universities have a visitor, who is senior to the chancellor, university disputes could be appealed from the governing board to the visitor (as is still the case in the UK), but nowadays such appeal is generally prohibited by legislation, and the position...
Read More

No feeds found

wait Posting your question. Please wait!...

No updates available.
No messages found
Suggested Pages
Tell your friends >
about this page
 Create a new Page
for companies, colleges, celebrities or anything you like.Get updates on MyPage.
Create a new Page
 Find your friends
  Find friends on MyPage from