The Daimler 2.5 & 4.5 litre
V-8 engines were designed by Edward Turner
in 1959 and used in several of the cars made by the British Daimler
company in the 1950s and 1960s. After Daimler's merger with Jaguar in 1960 they were also used in some of the Jaguar
saloons which were then badged as Daimlers.
The lightweight 2.5 litre V8 had hemispherical heads made of aluminium alloy resembling those in the Chrysler Hemi engine
, not those in the Triumph
motorcycle. ("Lightweight" is relative to similar engines of the period, but the engine would not be considered lightweight in today's world.) The two sizes of engine share similar external dimensions and design. They share the same bore spacings, and the one can be bolted in place of the other.
The motor first publicly appeared in the Daimler Dart, but after Chrysler objected to use of that name, it was called the Daimler SP250
, a carp nosed fibreglass
bodied sports car aimed at the American market.
The 2.5-litre motor, only thirty inches in length and developing @ 5,800 rpm, gave better performance than Jaguar's own 2.4-litre DOHC in-line six, and after the 1960 merger the opportunity was taken to create an up-market Daimler V8 version of the Jaguar Mark 2
. Between the years 1962 and 1969 17,620 Daimler/Jaguar V8s were built. Initially called the Daimler 2½ litre V8
, it was later called the Daimler 250
The 4.5 litre motor was used in the Daimler Majestic Major
which is now rare , but was a... Read More