is a station
of the Berlin U-Bahn
located in the Charlottenburg
district on the line. It is named after the Deutsche Oper Berlin
The station opened on May 14, 1906 under the name Bismarckstraße
in the course of the first western extension of the 1902 Stammstrecke
route, which originally ran from Warschauer Brücke
(today Warschauer Straße
) to Knie
). At the same time the station Wilhelmplatz
) was put in operation as the western terminus. The architect Alfred Grenander
had designed Germany's first U-Bahn station with four tracks, in consideration of the future branch-off to Reichskanzlerplatz
) in Westend
that went into service on March 29, 1908.
The station was renamed Städtische Oper
on August 1, 1929, Deutsches Opernhaus
on August 16, 1934 and received its current name on September 22, 1961. The original section between Deutsche Oper
was finally closed on May 1, 1970 and replaced by the U7
line at the new Bismarckstraße
station on April 28, 1978, leaving the two central tracks unused.
On July 8, 2000 during the Love Parade
a fire broke out at Deutsche Oper
, injuring 21, destroying an U-Bahn train and severely demolishing the station. As the only exits were at the western end of the platforms, passengers had to flee in the tunnel. In consequence the......