The Ferrybridge power stations
refers to a series of three coal-fired power station
situated on the River Aire
in West Yorkshire
. The first station on the site, Ferrybridge A power station
, was constructed in the mid-1920s, and was closed as the second station, Ferrybridge B power station
, was brought into operation in the 1950s. The A station has been retained since it closed. In the 1960s, Ferrybridge C power station
was opened with a generating capacity of 2000 megawatts
, which at the time was the largest of any power station in the UK. The B and C stations operated together until the B station's closure in the 1990s. The B station has since been demolished.
Ferrybridge C power station is currently the only power station operating on the site. Since 2004 it has been operated by Scottish and Southern Energy plc
. It is capable of co-firing biomass
and is currently being fitted with Flue Gas Desulphurisation
(FGD) plant. There are plans to build a fourth, D station on the site.
Land at Ferrybridge was purchased by the West Yorkshire Power Company in 1917. Plans for a power station were prepared and submitted to the Board of Trade
in March 1918. Due to a system change the following year with the Electricity Act 1919, the plans were put on hold. The plans were resubmitted to the Electricity Commissioners
in January 1920. The plans were finally granted permission in November 1921, but delayed due to a supply area... Read More