The hospital was inaugurated 1903 as a replacement for the city’s older hospital that had become too small. The hospital grew with the city until 1970 where it housed 1000 beds. Since then, it has become more specialized and as a result, the number of beds has decreased. The hospital sorts under Region Hovedstaden since January 1, 2007. Prior to this date, the hospital was part of the formal network of hospitals in the greater Copenhagen area (Hovedstadens Sygehusfællesskab), where each hospital specializes in a number of disciplines.