The Jaguar Mark 2
is a medium sized saloon car
built from 1959 to 1967 by the Jaguar
company in Coventry, England, as successors to the Jaguar 2.4 and 3.4 models, manufactured between 1957 and 1959. These retrospectively became known as the Jaguar Mark 1 following the release of the Mark 2 in 1959.
Adhering to Sir William Lyons
' maxim of "grace, pace and space", the Mark 2 was a beautiful, fast and capable saloon. It came with a 120 bhp 2.4 L, 210 bhp 3.4 L or 220 bhp 3.8 L Jaguar XK engine
. The 3.8 is similar to the unit used in the 3.8 E-Type
, having the same block, crank, connecting rods and pistons but different inlet manifold and carburation (two SU
versus three on the E-Type in Europe) and therefore 30 bhp less. The head of the six cylinder engine in the Mark 2 had curved ports compared to the straight ports of the E-Type configuration. For markets other than the US the 3.4 was fitted with twin SU carburettors and the 2.4 with twin Solexes
, but three Solexes were used in US spec 3.4s and 3.8s.
The Daimler 2.5 litre engine
was fitted to the Daimler 250
derivative of the Mark 2 (In European markets known as the Daimler 2.5-V8 then Daimler V8-250), having first been used in the Daimler SP250
sports car (the SP250 was originally known as... Read More