is a lake
in the southwest part of Minneapolis, just south of Lake Calhoun
and north of Minnehaha Creek
. The lake is surrounded by parkland as part of the Minneapolis Chain of Lakes. The lake has an area of and a maximum depth of .
Lake Harriet is very popular for recreation. It offers sailing, two beaches, and a system of bike and pedestrian trails (about for the bike trail and for the pedestrian trail). The trail and parkway system, part of the Grand Rounds Scenic Byway
, connects with Lake Calhoun
on the north end via William Berry Parkway and with the Minnehaha Creek
trail system on the southeast corner. The north end of the lake also offers a bandshell, which is used in the summer months for concerts, and a refreshment stand. A preserved section of the Como-Harriet Streetcar Line
runs between Lake Calhoun and the west side of Lake Harriet.
Lake Harriet is named for Harriet Lovejoy, who lived with her husband Colonel Henry Leavenworth
at Fort Snelling
. The two came to the area in 1819. The lake and surrounding land was last owned by Colonel William S. King
who donated the land to Minneapolis
The lake was called "Mde Unma" meaning other lake by the local Dakota people.
Every summer, Lake Harriet is host to many concerts in its castle-shaped Bandshell
. Music has been a part of the lake since the first pavilion was built on the property of Thomas Lowry
in 1888. The... Read More