The Leaside Bridge
formerly the East York Leaside Viaduct
and officially commemmorated as the Confederation Bridge
, spans the Don River
in the City of Toronto
. The Truss arch bridge
carrying Millwood Road was built to connect the then Town of Leaside
to the then Township of East York
, and was completed on October 29, 1927. The construction time of only 10 months was record breaking at the time.
During the 1920s, as the new communities surrounding Toronto grew rapidly, several bridges were constructed to overcome the barrier of the Don Valley. Among these were the Vale of Avoca (St. Clair Avenue
east of Yonge Street
) and the East York – Leaside Viaduct. The town of Leaside, built by Canadian Northern Railway
in the late teens and early 1920s, sought to attract investors and homebuyers. A connection over the Don Valley to the town of Todmorden
and on to Toronto would provide this.
Construction began in January 1927 under the direction of bridge designer Frank Barber. The bridge was rapidly assembled throughout the spring and summer, and inaugurated on October 29 as the Confederation Bridge, in honour of the sixtieth anniversary of that event. The tiled mosaic handrail was designed by New York architect Calude Bragdon with tiles supplied by Italian Mosaic and Tile Company.<ref... Read More