The neighborhood was Developed by Amzi Barber (Board of Trustees, Howard University) in the 1870s LeDroit Park was one of the first suburbs of Washington. Many of the area's Victorian mansions, houses and row-houses were designed by architect James McGill. LeDroit Park was developed and marketed as a "romantic" neighborhood with narrow tree-lined streets that bore the same names as the trees that shaded them. Originally the neighborhood did not follow the scheme for street names used in the rest of Washington DC. Extensive focus was placed on the landscaping of this neighborhood, as developers spent a large sum of money to plant flower beds and trees to attract high profile professionals from the city. LeDroit Park was even gated with guards to promote security for its hopeful residents. Originally LeDroit Park was a Whites only neighborhood. Efforts by many lead to the area becoming integrated especially multiple actions by students from Howard University. In July 1888 the students tore down the fences that separated the neighborhood in protest of its discriminating policies.