is a district
in the Scottish
city of Glasgow
. It is situated south of the River Clyde
. Until recently, the area was characterised by four-storey sandstone tenements built at the end of the 19th century and the start of the 20th. A continuous line of tenements faced Richmond Park, opened in 1899, across busy Rutherglen Road, one of Glasgow's main arterial routes.
After a long process of demolitions, work started in April 2005 on a comprehensive redevelopment scheme to create a new neighbourhood consisting of around 1,275 houses (1,062 private and 213 for social rental). The award-winning project was promoted by Glasgow City Council. The lead developer is Gladedale with involvement from the Link and Glasgow Housing Associations. Already constructed as at September 2007 are part of the traffic by-pass (including a new Boulevard), 44 private houses and 172 social-rented dwellings.
The diversion of Rutherglen Road to the southern edge of the site will allow integration of nearly all the housing with Richmond Park, itself to receive £2 million worth of improvements. Future plans include a community centre converted from a category 'B' listed building, shop units, a family pub/restaurant, relocated allotments and school improvements. The project is almost entirely funded by Gladedale in lieu of payment to Glasgow City Council for the land.