The Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
(PCOM) is one of the oldest and largest osteopathic medical school
. Founded in 1899, PCOM is home to over 1000 medical
students as well as graduate-level students in several other fields of health care
. One of the largest medical schools in the United States
, PCOM is the largest civilian producer of US military physicians
. The college stresses the importance of primary care, and produces many primary care
physicians. In 2005, PCOM opened a branch campus in Suwanee, Georgia.
The Philadelphia College and Infirmary of Osteopathy (PCIO) was founded on January 24, 1899 by the Rev. Mason W. Pressly, D.O., and Oscar John Snyder, D.O in the Stephen Girard Building at 21 S. 12th Street. In September 1899 the first PCIO degree was awarded to a transfer student; the first PCIO "class," comprising one woman and one MD, graduated in February 1900. PCIO was officially renamed to Philadelphia College of Osteopathy (PCO) in May 1921. PCO became the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) in May 1967. PCOM relocated to its current campus along City Avenue in Philadelphia in 1973 with the opening of Evans Hall. In 1979, PCOM acquired the adjacent office building and later named it Rowland Hall in honor of PCOM's 4th President. From 1995-1999, Evans Hall expanded to include a modern OMM Lab, more classrooms, a new cafeteria, and the Office of Admission.
In 1993, PCOM started the graduate program in... Read More