is a station
of the Berlin U-Bahn
located in the Westend
district on the line.
When the station first opened on March 29, 1908 it was named Reichskanzlerplatz
after the eponymous square laid out between 1904 and 1908, referring to the office of Chancellor of Germany
and its inaugural holder Otto von Bismarck
. It had been built according to plans of Alfred Grenander
in the course of the second western extension of the 1902 Stammstrecke
route, which originally ran from Warschauer Brücke
(today: Warschauer Straße
) to Knie
). At the same time the stations of Sophie-Charlotte-Platz
were put in operation. Two weeks before the opening Emperor William II
had the occasion of a first trip on the new line on March 14, 1908. Reichskanzlerplatz
remained the western terminus until the station Stadion
) opened in 1913.
In the course of the Nazi takeover
the square and the station were renamed Adolf-Hitler-Platz
on April 21, 1933 (Hitler
had an apartment nearby at the time ; the building of Hilterjungen was on this place). After the Second World War the Allies reverted the name to Reichskanzlerplatz
, which remained until December 18, 1963, when square and station were renamed after President Theodor Heuss
, who had died six days before.
The station... Read More