was an outdoor football
stadium located in New Orleans, Louisiana
from 1926 to 1980. Officially known as the Third Tulane Stadium
, it replaced the "Second Tulane Stadium" where the Telephone Exchange Building is now located. The site is currently bound by Willow Street to the south, Ben Weiner Drive to the east, the Tulane University property line west of McAlister Drive
, and the modular housing quad and the George G. “Sunny” Westfeldt Practice and Competition Facility to the north.
The stadium hosted three of the first nine Super Bowls
in January 1970
, and 1975
The stadium was opened in 1926 with a seating capacity
of roughly 35,000 on the sidelines of the field. Tulane Stadium was built on Tulane University's campus (before 1871, Tulane's campus was Paul Foucher's Plantation, where Foucher's father-in-law, Etienne de Bore, had first granulated sugar from cane syrup).
Since the institution of the annual Sugar Bowl
game, Tulane Stadium itself was often informally referred to as "the Sugar Bowl". It was also billed as "The Queen of Southern Stadiums". It was in a portion of Tulane University
's main campus in Uptown New Orleans
fronting Willow Street, with parking stretching to Claiborne Avenue. The original 1926 structure was mostly of brick
The institution of the annual Sugar Bowl game
The first Sugar Bowl game was played on January 1, 1935, at... Read More