In the words of its mission statement, "Die Voortrekkers empowers the Afrikaner to be successful as positive citizens and dependable Christians."
Its Values are encapsulated in what they call the ABC:
Afrikanerskap (modern Afrikanership)
Burgerskap (positive citizenship)
Christenskap (dependable Christianship).
The Seven Principles as guide its members are:
1. To embed the believe in the Triune God
2. To practice a Christian lifestyle
3. To pass on and cultivate the Afrikaner culture and to appreciate and protect our heritage
4. To take the good from the Afrikaner’s past and to build the future thereupon
5. To observe, appreciate and protect our environment
6. To develop contributing citizens and effective leaders
7. To nuture the positive habits of exploration, appreciation, sustainability, self discipline and voluntary service delivery
The founding of the Voortrekkers coincided with the growth of Afrikaner nationalism in South Africa, then a British colony. In some ways it was an Afrikaans language alternative to the largely English-speaking Boy Scout movement with its British heritage. However, the Voortrekker programme was substantially more race-conscious, nationalist and religious in tone and principles than the... Read More