) was the area settled by Moravians
in what is now Forsyth County
, North Carolina
, US. Of the six eighteenth-century Moravian "villages of the Lord" established in Wachovia, today, the town of Bethania, North Carolina
and city of Winston-Salem
exist within the historic Wachovia tract. The Moravian Archives
in Winston-Salem has a of the original Wachovia tract, showing the approximate locations of the first six Moravian congregations and the approximate current boundaries of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County.
Wachovia's early settlers were mostly German-speaking people who shared a common Germanic cultural background.
In 1752 Moravian Bishop August Gottlieb "Brother Joseph" Spangenberg
led an expedition to locate the area where the Unitas Fratrum, or Moravian church, intended to begin the Wachovia settlements. Members of the Moravian Church
in Europe purchased of land in the backcountry (middle/western area) of North Carolina
, from John Carteret, 2nd Earl Granville
. They named the tract of land die Wachau
, or "Wachovia," meaning "meadow of the Wach."
The name "Wachovia" is the Latin
form of the German
." "Die Wachau" was chosen as the name of the North Carolina Moravian tract, to honor Count Zinzendorf
, Moravian patron and bishop whose family estate was located in the Wachau region northwest of Vienna
, along the Danube River
between the towns of... Read More